Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hearing Test Competition

Huh? I didn't hear you. It's too noisy. Getting old has it's perks of course, but the failing senses are definitely not one of them. Alan and I have been bickering for months over which one of us has the most hearing loss. Of course he loses either way, if his hearing loss is greater then he loses the competition.  If  his hearing is better than mine them he just wasn't listening I win I win!
Our first appointment at Bumrungrad was for his and hers audiograms.  The test results in a moment. 
Bumrungrad is really so easy to navigate.  All of the signs are in multiple languages, English, Arabic, Japanese, and Thai.  The majority of the staff speaks both English and Thai. Today I saw people from Africa, multiple Arab countries, China, Korea, Japan, and India.  For those who need additional help there are interpreters to be called who will sit in the appointments with the patient. Our day was planned and we had a consolidated schedule printed out at the reception desk when we stopped at the hospital yesterday to get the lay of the land.  
After the audiologist, I was off to the dentist. She was a woman about my age, who spoke wonderful English, I had my cleaning, x-rays and had a crowned removed for replacement. 

The hospital makes life very easy.  There is a lovely food court on the second floor. To pay you buy a charge card and it is debited as you go from place to place ordering your dishes.  The food ranges from Chinese, Italian, Vegetarian, Indian, and of course Thai.  I chose roast duck, Chinese broccoli and a Diet Coke ( I am after all an American).


But the reason we came to Bumrungrad was for my feet, those ugly feet.  After my delicious lunch I was off to the Orthopedic surgeon. He took a look at my feet, had me go to X-ray and then we talked about the options.  He was very knowledgable, answered all my questions and put me quite at ease.  Because doctors know you are visiting, they are able to schedule follow on appointments right away.  He arranged his schedule so I can have my surgery tomorrow at 9pm.  I'll spend one night in the hospital with three follow on appointments before I leave in two weeks.  
After the appointments were done for the day, it was time to settle the bill.  Our insurance company has direct billing for medical procedures with the hospital. Some do not. I recommend that you check that out ahead of time. If yours doesn't you will be required to pay ahead and submit your receipts to your insurance company. That could be a significant outlay of cash depending on what you're having done.  It may also help to have your insurance company send an authorization letter to the hospital in advance.  



Now for the results of the hearing competition: 
I win! I win! I win!!!!!!!!!!!
My hearing is completely normal. Alan's is not. 


Tomorrow I'll have my executive physical. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog! Good luck tomorrow. Love you.

    ReplyDelete