Sunday, February 19, 2012

Boredom and Thai TV

Since the key to recovering from bunion surgery is keeping your feet propped up, lying in bed, watching tv, and boredom play a big part in recuperation as well. As you are all aware, we've undertaken this adventure in the Kingdom of Thailand. I do not speak or understand Thai so I am limited to a handful of English TV channels on the TrueVision cable system. So here's what we have CNN International and Al Jazeera International. The war is still raging in Syria and the news from there is on a continuous loop or so it seems. The good news is I have an old colleague Lisa Verch Fletcher who is a Washington bureau anchor/reporter so I get to see her. Yay!
I used to think I loved movies, but I figured out many years ago that I like knowing about movies and not actually watching them. It's the ADHD in me that makes it difficult to sit through a movie from start to finish. But when you're stuck in a hotel room with your feet propped up and a handful of English language channels, you watch movies. Here's the hit list and my reviews.
Batman and Robin 1997, really it came out 15 years ago? Un-fricken-believable. I'm not really a big fan of superhero flicks but that George Clooney is something else to look at. Ah-nold before he was the Governator was the bad guy Freeze. Not a horrible way to spend a couple of hours.
The Rundown 2003 starring Dwayne Johnson formerly known as the Rock. The premise is Johnson is a bounty hunter hired to get a kid home from somewhere in South America. It's a bang bang shoot 'em up as Alan might say. I wouldn't watch it again too many guns and too much blood. But that Dwayne Johnson isn't bad looking. Christopher Walken is the bad guy and he is so good at being the bad guy he is always scary.
JAWS 1975, the original. It makes mean anxious just thinking about it. Alan wanted to watch so it's on. He's been so good to let me control the remote, I've given in. There's not even a hottie to look at in the movie. I do remember when I first saw the movie, it was on a date with Doug Bennett.
The King's Speech 2010, Colin Firth is tremendous in this Academy Award winning film. I watched while Alan was out on a bike ride. I love history and this movie was great. I'd watch it again and I never do that. Helen Bonham Carter was great as His wife and the woman who would become the Queen Mother.
Valentine's Day 2010. I love romantic comedies and cameo appearances. This is a Garry Marshall film and as he says no one dies in a Garry Marshall film. And it is filled with hotties, Eric Dane, Bradley Cooper, and Patrick Dempsey, there are even hotties for the guys, Jessica Alba, Julia Roberts, and Anne Hathaway. It's a feel good movie filled with stars for the young Taylor lautner, Taylor Swift, Topher Grace and for the older people Shirley Mclaine and Hector Elizondo. I'd watch it again to check out how the stories touch one another on one Valentine's Day in my home town of LA.
I've also caught up on a few episodes of some of my favorite TV shows, Glee and Modern Family in particular. But one thing I've enjoyed are the TV shows I've never heard of that they are showing here. Mostly short lived US programs I've missed while living abroad or in Hawaii with no TV.
Chase a 2010 NBC series. The only people I recognized are Eddie ciproan and Jesse Metcalf. It's a Jerry Bruckheimer procedural drama. Petty good.
Glade 2010 A&E series. Set in Florida, the main character is a super sleuth with a very sharp wit. But the the person that caught my eye was Kiele Sanchez who I loved in the 2009 movie A Perfect Getaway.
There have also been the odd Discovery Channel documentaries on the fall of Singapore and the Japanese in WWII.
So there's my completely ill informed review of the TV viewing I've been doing while stuck propping my legs up in Thailand

No comments:

Post a Comment